Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New habits take a while...

I think this is the one thing that trips people up when they are trying something new. Old habits are so much easier because they're comfortable, and, well, to be blunt, they're already habits! No wonder it's difficult to get rid of them! There will always be a growth time of developing new habits. And for me, one of the things I have to work on remembering is to post in my blog. I've actually done a really good, consistent job of updating my food diary, which has been great. I've also been doing a fairly good job of reminding myself that this is only the first week and if nothing else, this first month is the starting point. I do not have to make any drastic changes this month, just track what I'm already doing and then take inventory to see what adjustments I can make in February. I have also done a good job of making sure I get home on time, which means I have time to 'work-out' (read, Just Dance for the Wii) for about 45 minutes every night. Which is more physical activity than I have done in a while, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I'm also SUPER excited that I'm coaching again!! I forgot how much I love volleyball, and how great it feels to play and coach, not to mention be up and active for 2.5 hours every Saturday. So that will DEFINITELY help with this whole getting in shape thing. I just have to keep at the Wii, either Just Dance or start the Fit program again, so that I'm being active a little every day. I'll get there.
I also realize that this is more than just improving my eating and exercise habits, so let's take a look at the other goals, shall we?? Being nicer to myself is an uphill battle, as it is with most of us, however I have been better about reframing what I'm saying to myself. Instead of "I suck at life because I didn't do xyz" I stop and say something more like "It's not the end of the world/You are not a horrible person/You are human, and it is ok." It's not easy, and I feel ridiculous, but I know these pep talks help in the long run. And I remind myself of my positive psych class, and how much better I felt when I was being positive towards myself instead of always being down... and that helps me to keep going. Being healthier I've already updated about - except for the researching part (hold please..) ok, so I looked into the gym near me.. and they do not list prices on their website anywhere. Which leads me to believe 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it'. That being the most convenient, I went to next convenient, and looked at the gym at the stop before mine on the T. Read a Yelp review which said $90 a month. Yikes! BSC is the next convenient, and that's $70 a month (with $60 down for a year membership, or $118 down to have month-to-month). Yeah, I'm gonna need to evaluate this whole gym situation. Is it necessary? Worth the cost? Will I feel comfortable going? Will I go? Well, I know enough to know that I won't go unless it is on my way home. So I think the $90 a month one is out, cause it's on my way, but not really. I realize I sound ridiculous and am being 'lazy' about going to the gym, but I prefer to think of it as being practical. I know myself well enough to know on the days I just want to go home and lounge on the couch, I'm not getting off a stop early. I will, however, feel guilty if I have to pass by the gym on my way home. So I'm leaning towards BSC. It's on the way. It's not horrifyingly expensive. We'll see. I'm not 100% on it... but at least I did the first steps of researching! Just need to keep thinking, and look at my budget, and all that fun real world stuff.
My goal of planning for the future is at a standstill at the moment. And I'm ok with that. I'm not trying to do everything all at once and burn out. Just good to remind myself that is there.
Communication - doing ok. Need to be better, but getting there. This is going to be a hurdle and once I cross it I'll be golden. It's just getting over the first few hurdles.... yeah... working on it...
Organization - desk got somewhat organized when I had to talk to someone from the State Dept about a reference for one of my students. It's not 100% organized, but it's a start. And my roommate and I are looking to re-organize the first level of our place next weekend, so that's also something. My room.... is another story.... and that is my mountain to climb this weekend :)
Ok, I should probably try to be mildly (work-related) productive... but... all in all feeling like 2012 is off to a good start. Ready to keep the momentum going, and stay on track!

2012... you will not conquer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment